UNDERSTANDING DENTAL CROWN PROCEDURES IN METAIRIE: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE
In the event of severe tooth decay or tooth loss, it’s vital that form and function be restored to the affected part of the mouth. It’s here that dental crowns save the day!
Whether as a protective cover for a tooth weakened by decay or a tooth replacement atop a dental implant, dental crowns’ value in cosmetic dentistry is significant.
Today we’re discussing dental crowns – what they are, how they’re placed in the mouth, and the cosmetic and structural benefits they provide.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
A dental crown is a cap, usually made out of porcelain (though porcelain-fused-to-metal, gold alloy, and zirconia are available), that’s used to cover and protect the site of severe tooth decay, provide structural support to the mouth, and restore the self-confidence that comes with a beautiful smile.
In cases in which a tooth is badly damaged or decayed but can still be partially saved, a dentist will remove the decay and re-shape the tooth to fit underneath a crown, which will protect the remainder of the tooth from further damage and restore the patient’s natural-looking smile.
When damage is so severe that the original tooth cannot be saved and must be extracted, after the extraction, a dentist will first place a dental implant into the jawbone, with an “abutment” (a small, typically titanium peg) on top to act as an anchor point for a crown.
THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Dental crowns offer a range of cosmetic and structural benefits. The most significant include:
- Providing structural support to remaining adjacent teeth, preventing shifting and misalignment
- Providing structural support to the jawbone, which can lose density after tooth loss
- Renewing a tooth’s surface, enabling the proper chewing of food, which aids in both digestion and nutrient absorption
- Restoring chipped or cracked teeth to their original shape
- Covering up severely misshapen or discolored teeth that are unresponsive to whitening treatments with a natural-looking and feeling alternative
- Restoring the self-confidence that comes with a beautiful, radiant smile!