WHAT CAUSES A DRY MOUTH
Have you ever found swallowing difficult? Maybe you feel the need to drink more water to help wash down certain foods that you’d otherwise chew with ease. If this is the case for you, you may suffer from a condition called dry mouth that affects some of our patients in Metairie and surrounding areas. But what causes dry mouth, and what can you do about it?
WHAT IS DRY MOUTH?
Dry mouth occurs when your salivary glands fail to produce enough saliva to do things like keep your mouth wet and assist with eating, bacteria management, and digestion.
WHY AM I SUFFERING FROM DRY MOUTH?
While some patients suffer from dry mouth in varying degrees, many feel discomfort and difficulty swallowing, eating food, or noticing that they’ve developed bad breath. Some of the causes associated with dry mouth include:
- Countless medications list dry mouth as a side effect, notably drugs treating high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and some pain medications. Cancer therapy may also play a role.
- Recreational drugs may also cause dry mouth.
- Nerve damage to the parts of the face and mouth can affect your salivary glands and create less saliva.
- Certain health conditions may contribute to dry mouth, and speaking to a doctor can help shed some light on the situation.
- In addition to other adverse health implications, tobacco products can increase the likelihood of dry mouth.
- Alcoholic beverages adversely affect the body and may also contribute to dry mouth.
HOW CAN DRY MOUTH DAMAGE ORAL HEALTH?
Sadly, dry mouth can have negative implications for teeth and gums in addition to broader health implications. Without sufficient saliva, patients may experience heightened risk for conditions such as:
- Gum disease
- Rotten teeth
- Heightened levels of plaque and bacteria
WAYS TO TREAT DRY MOUTH IN METAIRIE, LA
So, what can you do if dry mouth always seems to put a damper on your day? At Oak Family Dental, we understand that saliva plays an essential role in oral and overall health. A few tips and tricks we can recommend to our patients include:
- Drinking water
- Cutting out certain medications linked with dry mouth
- Avoiding tobacco and alcohol products
- Avoiding sugar in your diet (including candy and chewing gum)
- Drinking less coffee
- Avoiding recreational drug use
Treating dry mouth can significantly improve your daily life, and we are happy to help get you on track to a brighter, healthier future.
CONTACT OUR TEAM IN METAIRIE, LA
If you’d like to put a stop to your dry mouth and get back to comfortably eating your favorite foods and avoiding dental problems, we are here to help. Fixing your dry mouth doesn’t have to wait any longer, and booking an appointment is easy! You can speak to our friendly team by calling (504) 834-6410 or simply scheduling online.